Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What to give up???

So, I'm desperately trying to figure out what I'm going to give up for Lent and while I was searching for ideas, I came across this article. I really like the idea of 1-7 and I definitely think this would be the hardest thing. It will definitely require lots of praying, lol. I've also been thinking about giving up cake/donuts/brownies, etc. Not that I eat a ton of cake but when there is cake present, I do have a hard time resisting. This will also help me in my quest to start eating healthy again. For a split second I thought about giving up pizza but I just can't. That takes away one more thing I can eat on Fridays.

Ok, I just found this article on americancatholic.org:

Giving something up

For most older Catholics, the first thought that Lent brings to mind is giving something up. In my childhood, the standard was to give up candy, a discipline that found suitable reward in the baskets of sugary treats we received on Easter. Some of us even added to the Easter surplus by saving candy all through Lent, stockpiling what we would have eaten had we not promised to give it up.

Some years ago a friend of mine told me that he had urged his children to move beyond giving up candy to giving up some habit of sin that marked their lives. About halfway through Lent he asked the children how they were doing with their Lenten promise. One of his young sons had promised to give up fighting with his brothers and sisters during Lent. When his father asked him how it was going, the boy replied, "I'm doing pretty good, Dad—but boy, I can't wait until Easter!"

That response indicates that this boy had only partly understood the purpose of Lenten "giving up." Lent is about conversion, turning our lives more completely over to Christ and his way of life. That always involves giving up sin in some form. The goal is not just to abstain from sin for the duration of Lent but to root sin out of our lives forever. Conversion means leaving behind an old way of living and acting in order to embrace new life in Christ. For catechumens, Lent is a period intended to bring their initial conversion to completion.

After reading this, I've decided that I'm going to work on not sinning. Each night, I will look over the Examinations of Conscience for married persons. For everything that I can't "check off", I'll put a dime in a jar. This will be my almsgiving. At the end of lent, I will donate anything that made it into the jar to a charity. I'm not sure which charity yet but I guess I have time to figure that out.

2 comments:

Working Mama said...

whoa....you win. that's a big, gutsy leap. if you can do that, gee...you can do anything!
andrea

Karen said...

Well, I think the object is to try and I'm sure that I'll have nice pot of money to donate to charity, lol. Hopefully adding the donation to charity will offset my sinning, lol.