Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I embarrassed Shawn today. First off, he's being punished because he got a yellow and two reds from school last week. Part of his punishment is no deserts. Well, today after he came home from school, I took the kids to Publix to get a few things. We were just about finished and all of a sudden I see Shawn chewing something. Not only did he take something without paying for it but what he popped into his mouth was a piece of chocolate candy (from the bulk candy). Wonder how I embarrassed him??? I told him he had to tell the cashier what he did and apologize for doing it. He wouldn't tell her. He had both hands covering his face and crying trying to get me to tell her for him. I told him that he had to take responsibility for his actions. He knew it was wrong or else he wouldn't have been so upset about it so he needed to admit to doing it and apologize for it and we weren't leaving until he did. After about 5 minutes of him crying while the cashier checked out 3 other customers, I told him if he wasn't going to tell the cashier then I was going to find the manager and he would have to tell him/her. I took him over to the customer service counter and when it was our turn, I told the guy that my son had something to say. Shawn wouldn't say anything and at this point I just wanted to leave so I told him that Shawn ate a piece of candy. A manager overheard and came over and gave Shawn a lecture (nicely). I think he learned his lesson (at least I hope he did after all that, lol).

I had someone ask me what was on my forehead today. After I said it was Ash Wednesday, she just looked at me like she had no clue. I understand not all Christians have ashes put on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday but don't you think she should have at least heard of Ash Wednesday? That's like not knowing what Rosh HaShanah or Yom Kippur is. Now I couldn't tell you anything about these holidays but I've at least heard of them. Ok, I guess I have to go put a dime in the jar now, lol. Actually, I just looked at the Examination of Conscience for Married Persons and there isn't anything on there about judging people so I guess I won't put a dime in the jar for that. Now if I had chosen to use the Examination of Conscience based on the Ten Commandments, I'd be in trouble, lol.

3 comments:

Melodie said...

I've never had anyone be so clueless about Ash Wednesday. It's almost like they've been living in a foreign culture where nobody celebrates the holiday.

Heather said...

I think it just depends where you live and what your daily life is like. I never saw it in my life until maybe senior year in high school. If you go to school all day (public school) and then go home, when would you see it? I had heard of the holiday, but i had never experienced it, and it definitely threw me off.

Karen said...

Yes, well I understand not knowing what the ashes were, but after I told her it was Ash Wednesday she acted as if she had never heard of it. I didn't have a problem explaining it but I was just surprised that a grown adult had never heard of Ash Wednesday.