Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Feeling Green

I'm feeling kind of green today. Not green with envy but in the recycling mood kind of green. I was browsing a few green websites today and found these cool recycling ideas:

The first one is a site that recycles your old toothbrushes. Who would have thought? Actually, they have to be their brand of toothbrushes but now it makes me want to buy their brand. They have a subscription of 4 toothbrushes for $11.00. I don't think that's a bad price considering the toothbrush handles are made out of recycled plastic and you can send in your old toothbrushes to be recycled for free. They have other products too and their website says they are now available at Target.

Here's a cool book: Hungry Planet:What the World Eats. I'm excited to check this book out at the library. If you want to know what it's about, click on the link and read the Amazon.com review.

I'm not sure if I would ever want to buy one of these, but it is a pretty neat idea.

I dream of someday having a green house. If I won the lottery, I would buy a large piece of land and have a house built the way I want using recycled materials and energy efficient materials. I would have enough room in my yard to plant a veggie/herb garden and even have some fruit trees/bushes. Some of the products first on my list since the chances of winning the lottery are slim, are sippy cups and other plastic cups that are BPA free, safe plastic food containers, reusable towels for the kitchen (giving up paper towels is going to be a huge challenge for me), and safe lunch totes (I didn't even realize there was a concern with them until searching around today).

I saw a neat composting idea that I'm going to try out since I missed
the free compost class put on by the Hillsborough County Extension Services. I was only going for the free composter but I watched this video today that showed a women saving her kitchen scraps in one of these and then once a week, they would dig a hole in the garden, dump the kitchen scraps in, and then cover it back up. I have no use for compost right now since I have no decent landscaping and my front garden is full of weeds but it would be awesome to recycle my kitchen scraps. I want a simple composter like the Earth Machine. I had one in Maryland but it didn't make the move. I got it free through the county I lived in.

There's lots more I can do around here to become a greener house. We've already done the basics of changing all the light bulbs, and we do recycle (although I hate Hillsborough County's recycling program) but I want to do more. If you know some easy and affordable ways to help save the environment, send them my way.






1 comments:

Working Mama said...

I have the preserve toothbrush - we love them & yep, you can they'll recycle them! They are made from recycled yogurt cups!
Andrea