Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What to do?

Since it's Spring Break and since Shawn was sick all last week, I figured we should get out of the house and do something fun today. I really didn't want to go too far away from home so we ended up going to the park this morning. At one point, both of the kids ended up in the recycled tire mulch pit and Joshua of course had to dump some in his hair. He was filthy! As soon as we came home I plopped him in the tub. You would not believe how much dirt and sand was in the water after I finished washing Joshua's hair. I guess I should have tried to rub some of it out before I brought him in the house. Oh well, lesson learned.

I have a sand box with a lid that I got for free from a freecycler but we haven't used it yet. Yesterday, when I was at the child care class, one of the girls gave me a great idea. She said that instead of filling the sand box with sand, fill it with rice. That keeps the kids from getting all sandy but they can still fill buckets and use dump trucks etc. I think I'm going to try and do this sometime next week and see how Joshua likes it. I still see a problem with rice being all over the yard though. I wonder if birds or squirrels will eat the rice on the ground. If so, that seems much better than having sand all over the place.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

I don't know if this is true or not, but I had heard a while back that the reason people throw bird seed instead of rice at weddings now is because the rice is bad for the birds to eat. Something about it puffing up in their stomachs, I think.

Karen said...

That's what Don said. I guess I won't be doing that, lol. Back to sand.