Wednesday, April 2, 2008

CPR and FA Certified!

Last night I went to my CPR and Basic First Aid class. I basically just paid for my certifications. The instructor was nice and seemed knowledgeable but I guess since everyone in the class was renewing, he kind of slacked off. Now I didn't really have a problem with this because I've been CPR qualified many times. As an aviation electrician in the Navy it was required so I was qualified the whole time in the Navy and then had to get re-certified when I was hired by Skytech, Inc. I know where to place my hands and how to do compressions, etc. I just needed to brush up on how many compressions to breaths and I'm fine. We watched a video by the American Heart Association that explained how to do everything and we each had our own upper body mannequin or whatever they're called to practice on. However, the instructor wasn't really watching us (at least it didn't look like it) to see if we were doing it right. The infant body we practiced compressions on was just a plush baby doll from Wal-mart. We didn't even have to take a test. After watching the movie and practicing on the mannequins, he gave us our cards for CPR. The basic first aid class was even better...it lasted approximately 15 minutes. So, if you just want to re-certify let me know and I will tell you the name of this company. If you are looking to actually learn something, I would not recommend this company.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

I just want to recertify. Where did you go and what was the cost? Are you certified for Adult, Child, and Infant?

Scarlett said...

Hey - just curious... Did they still tell you to do the breathing? I heard on the radio that they are now recommending just chest compressions without the mouth-to-mouth. Is that true???