Thursday, August 14, 2008

1st grade here we come

So tonight was orientation at Shawn's school. We already knew that he had the same teacher. When we pulled into the parking lot, we ended up parking next to Sophia, someone in Shawn's class from last year. I asked who her teacher was this year and her mom said Mrs. Errity. Great, Shawn already knew someone in his class. Then we walked up to the classroom and the door was closed. She had all the students first names on her door and everyone was in his class last year. He has the exact same class, teacher and all (well except for a different classroom). He's so excited. I thought maybe all the kindergarten classes stayed together but I ran into Nolan (who was in EELP with Shawn) and his mom said that he doesn't have anyone that he knows in his new class. I'm not sure how we got to be so lucky but I'm not complaining. Shawn can't wait to start school on Monday...music to a mothers ears, lol.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

When Emily was in fourth grade at Riverview, her teacher was planning to "loop" for the next year, which means take her entire class with her to fifth grade. Of course, Emily went back to Limona, so I have no idea if that ended up happening or not. I can see where it might be beneficial if the teacher and students work well together.
At Limona, they have the classes broken up into "houses" and the children in the kindergarten class in one house, will move together to the 1st and 2nd grade classes in the same house. So, while they may change teachers and classrooms every year, they stay in the same section of the school and stay with the same students for a few years.
Anyhow, I'm glad that Shawn has all of his friends and his teacher with him again this year. It really helps the kids to feel less anxious about starting school when they know what they're in for.

Working Mama said...

Glad it worked out for you! I'm sure it helps him to know the same kids! I didn't think any place did that!