Thursday, September 11, 2008

Always Remember...

Where were you when you heard/saw the news about the World Trade Center? I'll never forget.

I was pregnant with Shawn and had some horrible morning sickness. That day, I called in sick from work. I had been napping on the couch while the t.v. was still on. When I woke up, they were showing the crash of the first tower. I thought it was a movie at first until the second airplane crashed into the second tower. I was stunned! I was glued to the t.v. When they reported about another airplane hitting the pentagon, I was really scared. See I was living in MD and the pentagon really isn't too far away. I didn't know how many more airplanes were out there and I was worried about Don. He used to travel near D.C. for work so I immediately called him to make sure he was ok and then told him what happened. He came home soon after that and we just watched the t.v. all night.

How did the events impact us? Well, I wondered what kind of world we were going to be raising our kids in. It also led me to be a stay at home mom. I was working at Martin State Airport and we were in the no fly zone. Well, if no airplanes are flying, then they aren't breaking. If they aren't breaking, then we weren't fixing them. My company started letting people go. Ironically, they offered me a promotion or a lay off. If I took the promotion, I would have to go back to the avionics shop and take the place of one of the new guys that they would ultimately lay off. I couldn't afford to quit but a lay off sounded pretty good to me, lol. I didn't really want to go back to the avionics shop. I just had a new baby and I couldn't imagine coming home from work each night tired, grimy, and sore so I took the lay off and we've been poor ever since, lol. No, we are not poor but we've definitely had to change our style of living and we've had to do without for a very long time. It will be nice when we can stop worrying so much about money.

I will never forget that day. I'm proud to be an American. I support our troops. I can't wait until election day!


0 comments: