Monday, June 9, 2008

I don 't want to judge but....

Ok, so I'm taking this 30 hour child care course that is required for me to get licensed. Most of the girls in my class are around my age (some younger and some older but basically around my age). I can't believe the ignorance when it comes to basic child care. For example: the Back to Sleep campaign has been around at least since Shawn was an infant so it's not new. There was more than one person that asked the instructor if it would be better to put the baby to sleep on their stomach because what if the baby threw up in his sleep. You'll love this one Karlise - when the instructor was going over child safety seats, she said the law was that any child under the age of 6 had to be in a child safety seat/booster. A girl said that when her nephew just turned 4, he weighed too much for the safety seat that she had for him so she called the police to ask them if he still needed to be in the seat and they told her that he was old enough to use the cars seat belts. The thing that really got me was when the instructor was going over child abuse and talking about discipline and what was considered discipline and what was considered child abuse. Most of the women there could not believe that they couldn't spank a child if they were being disciplined. I guess they didn't understand because they grew up getting beat as a child but you would think that if that were the case, they would understand why you wouldn't spank a child. It's kind of scary knowing that these women are going to be caring for children. I guess it's really good that they make this class a requirement, lol.

0 comments: