Friday, May 30, 2008

Dr. Appts.

Shawn and Joshua had their annual check ups yesterday. I had lots to discuss with Dr. Tappan. We talked about Shawn's appointment with the neurologist and Dr. Tappan wants us to see someone else. However, the doctor he recommended is not in our insurance network so I'm going to have to call him and ask if there is someone else he can recommend. We discussed multi vitamins (not all vitamins are SCD legal) and he recommended the vitamins that we already have, yea! I will have to crush them up to give to the kids because they are big horse pills. I'm currently taking 3 a day. Shawn will be taking one a day and Joshua will be taking 1/2 a day.

When I told Dr. Tappan that we started SCD, I was happy to find out that he was familiar with the diet and had no problems with the kids being on it. I can't tell you how much grief I've heard from some of my family members (Don included) about how they don't think the kids are getting all the nutrition they need when they aren't drinking milk or eating bread. So no problems with the diet!

Joshua weighs 23 lbs now and Shawn is 44 lbs. I can't remember their height and I didn't write it down. I was more concerned with their weight.

We checked today to see if the neuro psychologist that Dr. Tappan recommended was in our network and of course she is not. We called her to find out if she accepts United Health Care and she said that she is not in any insurance networks but most of the time the insurance company will reimburse you. So we called our insurance company and after a $300 deductible, they will pay 60%. So needless to say, we are on hold with this for the time being. I called Dr. Tappan this afternoon to see if there was someone else that he could recommend but he already left for the day. I will call on Monday to see what he recommends. Don wants to just pay out of pocket but even though I really would like to get Shawn a proper diagnosis, I'm not willing to pay that much money when we don't have it to spend. I do think it's important to get him diagnosed though especially since Charlie Crist signed a bill that would force insurance companies to cover therapies for children with Autism. Even though it won't go into effect for another 2 years, it would be nice to have the diagnosis for when it does go into effect.

1 comments:

Debbie said...

Good Luck finding a doctor. If you go on the insurance's website, you can usually find someone in the area...Some insurances even give more specific info as far as the doctor's work ethics....The basics...Maybe if you found names, Dr. Tappan would recognize one that slipped his mind....Just a thought....

Glad he "approved" the diet also. It usually helps a bit to have the support, especially when there are family members that might not understand or be on board...