Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Chicks

When I was in the 5th grade, we had to write and illustrate our own book. Then we had to read them to the kindergarten class. I had the chicken pox at the time so I didn't get to read mine. I still have the book I made. Want to see it? It's hard to read the words in the pictures so I'll type the words above the pictures. I couldn't fit the whole thing in the scanner because it was too long but here it is:


Once there lived a mother duck. She had just laid her eggs.



While mother duck was talking with her friends, one of her eight eggs hatched.



Then three more of her eight eggs hatched. Then the rest of her eight eggs hatched.



While mother duck was teaching her chicks to swim--- a little bear was spying on them.



While the little bear was spying on them from behind a rock, the chicks were having fun playing and running around.



A monkey saw the little bear---- and wondered what he was doing.



The monkey thought how hungry he was and that he could eat a bear. The little bear thought how hungry he was and that he would like to eat one of those little chicks for dinner.


All of a sudden, the monkey ate the little bear. The monkey wasn't hungry anymore. In fact.... he was so full and fat that he died.


And the chicks lived happily ever after.

4 comments:

Working Mama said...

That's funny, Karen. I wonder what the kindergarteners would have thought - especially about the monkey dying! LOL! Those are GREAT illustrations, Karen! I didn't know you had that talent! Good job!

Melodie said...

Well, I didn't see that ending coming. LOL.

Karen said...

Someone else in my class read it to the kindergartners and from what I heard, they laughed and thought it was funny. Although, the story was completely mine, I traced most of the animals from a book on how to draw cartoons.

Debbie said...

Very cute story...And the drawings, traced or not, they came out perfect!!!