Monday, February 23, 2009

The problem with the homeless

I hope this doesn't offend anyone because I truly feel for the homeless but...I don't like to see them begging on the street. There are places to go to get free food. I'm not sure if there are many places to sleep here though. I just don't trust the people that are standing on the corner. You see the same people there and sometimes they have crutches or a wheelchair and sometimes they don't. I wonder why I don't trust them, lol. I don't have money to give to everyone that's on the corner with a sign. I will donate food to my church's food pantry though. The reason for this post is because of the increase in beggers recently. I remember when we first moved here, I hardly saw any homeless. There might have been one or two in Brandon near the Walmart but that was it. Now they are everywhere; on every corner and I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get with the economy the way it is.

1 comments:

Melodie said...

I completely agree, Karen. This is something I've struggled with myself - whether or not to give to the beggars. The church teaches us to give to those less fortunate than us, but how do we really know if these people are less fortunate? They could be totally scamming us. I think that donating to homeless organizations and food banks is the right thing to do. If these people aren't too proud to beg on the street, they shouldn't be too proud to go to a soup kitchen for a decent meal.